It’s already been two years now that Super User has been running, and we’ve come a long way. We still continue to provide as an excellent source for questions and answers to the online community for anything computer related. We have also added the new officially blessed blog and had our very first community elections for moderators where we added 4 new moderators bringing us to a total of 8 moderators!
Update: the contest has ended! The judges are hard at work deciding the winners – expect the official results within a week. Thanks to everyone who participated in Super User during the contest!
Our current, super awesome moderators are:
Last year, to celebrate our first year as a Stack Exchange site, we had a Super Contest. This year, we’re doing it again, but the prizes are going to be a bit different and categories for winning are too. Our wonderful moderators will be judging, with the added help of Kronos, our resident Blogger in Chief:
There are 3 levels of prizes:
- Level 1 Prize: An official Super User T-Shirt (valued at $15) – 19 awards
- Level 2 Prize: $35 worth of Super User Swag from the official SE store – 6 awards
- Level 3 Prize: $100 worth of Hardware/Software from an online tech retailer, or SU swag from the SE store. (Can be a combination from both stores) – 8 awards
- The Grand Prize: $250 worth of Hardware/Software from an online tech retailer, or SU swag from the SE store. (Can be a combination from both stores)
Last year’s contest favored the high rep gaining users, both new and old, but we recognize that reputation isn’t all that is involved with making Super User so awesome. This year, we’re changing the contest a bit to recognize 10 categories of involvement for Super Users:
- The Upcoming Editor: The top three users gaining the most reputation from suggested edits, as measured by our database mining monkeys. Users with more than 3 rejected edits are disqualified. Three Level 1 prizes awarded.
- The Upcoming Tag Wikifier: The top three users gaining the most reputation from suggested tag wiki edits, as measured by our database mining monkeys. User with more that 3 rejected tag wiki edits are disqualified. Three Level 1 prizes awarded
- The Top Gun Rookies: The top three, in order of the best performance for a new user as measured by the Super User League. One Level 1, 2, and 3 prize awarded.
- The Top Guns for the Quarter: The best performance for any user for the past quarter as measured by the Super User League. One Level 1, 2,and 3 prize awarded.
- The Reference Librarian: The top three canonical answer/community FAQ posts, as judged by the judges. If a qualifying post is a community wiki, each contributing at least 25% of the post is rewarded. One Level 1, 2, and 3 prize.
- The Editors: The top three most useful editors as judged by the judges. Candidates are selected from the top 20 editors for the time period of the contest. They must have at least 15 non-trivial edits. One Level 1, 2, and 3 prize.
- The Bloggers: The top three best blog submissions to the blog as judged by the judges and blog editors. A good blog consists of something that is related to the scope for Super User, is clear and well edited, and fun to read. To submit a blog post, read the instructions on the How To Contribute page and submit your blog post to this meta question. One Level 1, 2, and 3 prize. Take a look at these blog posts for examples of excellent blog posts:
- The Crap Cleaners: The top three community cleaners who have the most combined valid flags, close votes cast, and edits as judged by our database mining monkeys. One Level 1, 2, and 3 prize.
- The Super Users: The nine runner-up users for MVSU, as measured by the community (see below). This doesn’t mean that they aren’t super awesome, we just can’t hand out 10 super great prizes so we decided to reward you with something a little lighter. “I ran for MVSU and all I got was a lousy T-Shirt!” Seven Level 1, and two Level 3 awards.
- The Most Valuable Super User: This user deserves this title by all means, and will receive the grand prize. They exhibits the best of all the qualities mentioned above and more. They pretty much could and probably have saved the world twice. They are the Chuck Norris of Super User. The Most Valuable Super User is nominated and voted by the community through a meta question. Voting will begin after the first week of the competition, but minimum requirements (as expressed below) will be calculated at the end of the competition. A user cannot nominate themselves and must meet certain criteria strictly enforced by the moderators and judges. These criteria include:
- Have a minimum of 5k rep or at least 1k rep in past year
- Have a minimum of a 200 flag weight
- Have the following badges: enthusiast, tag editor, suffrage, and quorum
Finally, there are a few general rules to be eligible for the contest:
- You must have a registered Super User account in good standing, with a valid email address, to be eligible.
- Contest open to every man, woman, and child (over 13, as per our TOS) on planet Earth, except those men, women, or children living in places where contests like this are somehow illegal — or the relevant contest laws in your jurisdiction are so obnoxious that awarding the prize becomes impractical.
- Super User Moderators and Judges of any kind are not eligible to win, because they will be judging parts of the contest. But they won’t be left out in the cold, either: we’ll be sending our community mods a little thank you prize as well, for everything they’ve done. You guys rock!
- You cannot win more than one prize; however, if you win two Level 1 prizes, you may upgrade to a single Level 2 prize, and if you win prizes of different levels, you will be awarded the highest prize, and the runner up will receive the unclaimed prize.
- If you live in an area of the world where it is logistically impossible for us to get your prize to you — like, say, because your nearest computer hardware store is 3000 nautical miles away — we’ll do our best to work with you and make it happen.
- We will try to be as fair as possible, but all of our judgments are final and binding.
This contest will be going on for the next two weeks starting Monday the 22nd at 00:00 UTC! Congratulations Super Users, and Happy Birthday! Let the festivities begin! (Note: the blog post originally said the contest would start on the 29th; this was incorrect.)
Now get working!
Image source: Hyperbole and a Half – This Is Why I’ll Never be an Adult
Filed under Super User